Computational and Artificial Intelligence
Research includes the design and the development of
- intelligent algorithms for both the optimization of the structure and the training of Artificial Neural Networks (ANN) and their applications to system structure identification,
- new genetic operators and the applications of Genetic Algorithms (GAs) to real world problems such as non – linear time series prediction, biosignal prediction and chest cancer growth e.t.c,
- hybrid algorithms, such as advanced signal processing algorithms for the training of ANNs and GAs for the optimization of their structure. The new hybrid algorithms have been applied in many real world problems such as exchange – rate prediction, MEG prediction, seismic signal prediction Computational Finance, e.t.c.
Intelligent Agent Systems
Research around Intelligent Agent Systems is focused in the design and development of intelligent multi-agent systems in dynamic and integrated environments. The targeted research areas are:
- Technology-enhanced Learning Systems
- Enterprise/Industrial Integration
- Ontology-driven Multi-Agent Systems
Research includes the definition of ontological models for knowledge domain description as well as the corresponding applications. Research focused on the definition of dynamic deployed hierarchical ontology models in integrated environments that continuously evolved. Furthermore, tools and inference techniques are developed for the information retrieval and data mining from ontologies. The targeted research areas are:
- Enterprise/Industrial Integration
- Digital Library Integration
- Ontology-driver Multi Agent Systems
- Technology enhanced Learning
- Digital Culture
- Information Retrieval
Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
This research area includes:
- Homology Modeling - Structural Bioinformatics
- Object Oriented Protein Databases
- Algorithms on Strings - Sequence reassembly
- Protein - Protein Interactions
- Gene Regulatory Networks
- Protein Interaction Graphs
- Biological Processes - System Biology
- Omics Data Preprocessing and Analysis
- MicroRNA Genes and Targets Prediction
- Next Generation Sequencing Data Analysis
- Literature Mining
Cloud Computing and Big Data Analytics
The last three years PRLAB has been engaged to the research of novel applications of the emerged technologies of cloud computing and visualization technologies. Main scope is the application of intelligent solutions on the dynamic allocation of computational resources for the analysis of big data problems.
More specific laboratory's research includes:
- middleware for intelligent dynamic allocation of resources on IaaS cloud platforms for efficient and cost-benefit analysis of big and complex data,
- intelligent workflow management systems for defining complex analysis task pipeline and orchestrating its execution,
- time scheduling of demanding resources binding in small scale cloud infrastructures.
Furthermore, PRLAB is the coordinator of Cloud@Ceid (http://cloud.ceid.upatras.gr). Cloud@Ceid is an initiative of Computer Engineering & Informatics Department (CEID) of Univeristy of Patras for promoting the research on virtualization and cloud computing technologies. Cloud@Ceid operated in three axes:
- The installation of a unified IaaS in the CEID including the various datacenters of the department's laboratories.
- The education of department's undergraduated and postgraduated students to virtualization and cloud computing technologies though workshops and seminars with the cooperation of Citrix Systems, Inc.
- A research group on cloud computing technologies.
- Session on New Methods and Tools for Big Data at the 11th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence Applications and Innovations (AIAI’15), 14-17 September 2015, Bayonne/Biarritz – France.
- 1st Workshop on “New Methods and Tools for Big Data (MT4BD-2014)” at the 10th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence Applications and Innovations (AIAI 2014), Island of Rhodes, Greece, September 19-21.
- 3rd Workshop on Computational Intelligence Applications in Bioinformatics (CIAB 2013) at the 14th EANN Conference, 13-16 September, 2013, Halkidiki, Greece.
- 2nd Workshop on Computational Intelligence Applications in Bioinformatics (CIAB2012) at the 13th International Conference on Engineering Applications of Neural Networks (EANN 2012), 20-23 September 2012, London, England.
- Workshop on Applying Computational Intelligence Techniques in Financial Time Series Forecasting and Trading (ACIFF) at the 13th International Conference on Engineering Applications of Neural Networks (EANN 2012), 20-23 September 2012, London, England.
- 1st Workshop on Computational Intelligence applications online essay writer that offers completely original writing in Bioinformatics (CIAB) organized with the 12th EANN / 7th AIAI Joint Conferences :: 15 – 18 September 2011, Corfu, Greece.
- Workshop on Computational Intelligence for modeling and prediction at the 6th IFIP Conference on Artificial Intelligence Applications & Innovations (AIAI 2010) 5-7 October 2010, Ayia Napa, Cyprus.
- Workshop on Bioinformatics, Genomics & Proteomics, an Artificial Intelligence Approach in conjunction with European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2008), Tuesday 22 July, 2008, Patras, Greece.