received the diploma degree in electrical engineering from the National Technical University (NTU), Athens, Greece, in 1980 and the Ph. D. degree in stochastic adaptive control from the Department of Computer Engineering and Informatics, University of Patras, Patras, Greece, in 1986. He is currently Professor and Director of the Pattern Recognition Laboratory, Department of Computer Engineering and Informatics, University of Patras. He is also member of the Managing Committee of the Artificial Intelligence Research Center, University of Patras and Senior Researcher of the Computer Technology Institute (C.T.I.), Patras, Greece. He is member of the ACM (professional), IFIP and Technical Chamber of Greece. He has been Project Manager and Technical Manager in a number of R&D projects funded by the Greek Government (25) and the European Union (14). He has successfully integrated (as president of the Evaluation Committee) the evaluation of the competition of bids of two large scale ICT projects. He has jointed the Group for the Strategic ICT Planning of the Ministry of Health (as a member) and the Ministry of Justice (as President). He has operated as a reviewer in many scientific journals and conferences and he has been a member of a sufficient number of the scientific and program committee of international conferences. He is author of 65 papers published in international scientific journals, 170 papers published in proceedings of international conferences, 15 book chapters (international publications), 4 e-books for distance learning courses, 6 lecture notes and 1 book for open and distance learning. He has also supervised the PhD Theses of 16 graduate students and a sufficient number of MSc. and Diploma Theses. His research work has earned 630 citations (Google Scholar) and H-index: 14. His research interests include Intelligent Signal Processing and Adaptive Control, Neural Networks, Genetic Algorithms and applications, Intelligent Agents and applications, Bioinformatics, Web based Applications, Virtual e-Learning Environments, Artificial Intelligence/Expert Systems, Data and Knowledge Mining, and Intelligent Tutoring Systems. Finally, as a Professor, he has touched a sufficient number of undergraduate and graduate courses in various fields of computer science and computer engineering.
Some indicative European and national R@D projects, that he has participated, are the following:
- “Spam in Internet Telephony Detection Services – SPIDER”, Eurepean Comission, IST (SME/COOP), Project IST-032720-SPIDER, budget: € 1 696 407, 2006 - 2008 (24 months), Senior Researcher.
- “System Engineering for Security and Depandability – SERENITY”, European Comission, IST(IP), Project IST-027587-SERENITY, budget: € 7 800 000, 2006 – 2008 (36 months), Senior Researcher.
- EC, DGXIII, Telematics Applications Programme, Sector: Programm Support Actions, Task 6.1, 6.2, Project No 2679, " AGORA - Teleservices for Small and Medium Size Organizations: a Network of Networks ", Senior Researcher, Budget: 9 101 000 ECU, 1996-1998.
- EC, DGXIII, Telematics Applications Programme, Sector: Programm Support Actions, Task 1.3, Project No 5011, " ASSENT - Assesment of Telematics Programme ", Senior Researcher, Bugget: 1 800 000 ECU, 1996-1998.
- “Design, Development and Application of Intelligent Algorithms in Real World Problems (Biosignals, Communications, Medical Systems”). Program PYTHAGORAS, G.S.R.T., Ministry of Development, Project Manager, Budget: ~ 70 000 Euro, 2004 – 2006.
- “Intelligent Agents in Virtual Learning Environments”, Program HERAKLEITOS, G.S.R.T., Ministry of Development, Project Manager, Budget: 33 000 Ευρώ, 2003 –2005.
- “Intelligent Agents and Their Application to e-Commerce”, Program YPER, G.S.R.T., Ministry of Development, Project Manager, Budget: 43 000 Euro, 1998-2001.
- “ZEUS: Human Network for the Dissemination & Use of Advanced Communication Servises for the Cooperation of Research and Productive Units”, member, budget:12 milion DRH, 1996-1997.
- “IKAROS: Security, Quallity and Credibility in the Information and Comunication Technologies”, member, budget: 12 milion DRH, 1996-1997.
- “HELTRANET (Hellenic ELectronic TRAding NETwork): Human Network for the Dissemination of R&D Knowledg for Subjects of Electronic Trading and Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)”, member, budget: 12 milion DRH, 1997-1998.